Gratitude begins where my sense of entitlement ends.
This is a quote that Steven Furtick used in his message at the NewSpring Leadership Conference back in September. My pastor Pete Wilson, preached the message this past weekend and it hit me just as hard now, as it did then. I thought since it is Thanksgiving Day, that it was the perfect time to do this post.
Open your heart as you think about these things on this Thanksgiving Day, you might become more thankful for things that you completely take for granted.
Psalm 69:30-31 I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving. This will please the LORD more than an ox, more than a bull with its horns.
- Gratitude is important to our God so it must be important to us.
- God is attracted to grateful people.
- Gratitude turns negative situations around.
Psalm 100:4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
- God has a protocol to how he can be approached.
- Come THANKFUL. Tell God what your thankful for, before you start asking for new things.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
4 Observations of Gratitude:
- Gratitude is never invisible or silent. Luke 6:45 - When your grateful, you’ll TELL them and SHOW them. Quit assuming that people know your grateful and tell them! Unexpressed gratitude is a lot opportunity to give God praise.
- Gratitude sustains joy and blessing. What a pedalboard is to the sound of a guitar gratitude is to the blessings in your life. Even when your going through a hard time, gratitude brings you back to a better place.
- Gratitude begins where my sense of entitlement begins. You can’t be grateful for something you feel entitled to. Just to be used by God is a blessing. Truth is, God doesn’t need you! Your blessed just to be used by Him. God doesn’t owe us anything, but we owe him everything.
- Grateful people can find a blessing, enlarge a blessing, or create a blessing almost any situation. Negative can find a burden, enlarge a burden, or create a burden in almost any situation. Some people are crap factories. No matter what you put in, crap comes out. Don’t complain about a blessing God gave you that you asked for.
Gratitude is not based on how good your situation is but on how good you see your situation.
There are so many things in our life on a daily basis that we all take for complete granted. This message opened my eyes to things that we as Americas feel completely entitled to, that which we should be grateful for. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to pull the “Aren’t you going to finish all your food? .. There are starving kids in Africa.” card. Yet, there are things we expect to be there each day, that other people couldn’t even fathom. We get mad if a computer is slow, if we don’t have cell phone reception, if the restaurant gets our order wrong, and the list goes on. The reality of it is, we have grown so accustomed to these things, we take them for granted.
Those examples were just materialistic things, we could get even more practical and apply this to people. Do you tell/shot people in your life that you really care about just how grateful you are for them? The next for weeks, over this holiday season is the best time to truly tell people how you feel. Refer back to point 1, Gratitude is never invisible or silent. Take some time and truly tell people, it might be the best conversation you and them have all month.
I have so much to be thankful for and this topic has really opened my eyes to so much. I hope all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving!